Many things can contribute to a crisis. It’s vital to get to know the factors that trigger a sickle cell crisis for you, and to avoid those things.
They may include:
- Not drinking enough water (you become dehydrated)
- Not taking medications and vaccines
- Becoming too hot or too cold
- Excessive physical exercise/exertion
- Emotional stress and anxiety
- Not eating a well balanced diet
- Drinking Alcohol
- Travelling in an unpressurised aircraft
- Blood Loss
- Living in poverty
In spite of all the precautions we may take to avoid a sickle crisis, illnesses do still occur. But taking precautions can help to minimise situations that could cause crises or more serious complications.
By managing your care, maintaining a positive mental attitude, getting the right support and taking steps to maintain your well-being can help you to live an adventurous and fulfilled life.